A witness to history with 800 years of history which is also called Steffl, St. Stephen’s Cathedral, by the Viennese with its 107 metres long and 34 meters wide one of the most important Gothic buildings of in Austria. St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the “Cathedral Church St. Stephan in Vienna,” the Church of the Archbishop of Vienna, is actually since 1723.
The Roman Catholic Cathedral, which is named after the Saint Stephen, the first Christian martyr, is regarded as Austrian National Shrine and rises as architectural masterpiece with 13 powerful bells of Vienna’s city centre. Some of the many and important art treasures in a guide filled with gold and silver In the Interior of St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna can be seen. The “Wiener Neustadter altar” from the year 1447 is an impressive Gothic winged altar, together with the plastic decoration of the pillars in the Interior of the Cathedral, but also on the outside of the building, yet always excellently preserved. A witness with 800 years of construction history of the foundations of the oldest building of the St.
Stephen’s Church is today no longer in the 12th century. The second Romanesque building of the west facade of the St. Stephen’s Cathedral with the Heath towers and the giant gate built between 1230 and 1263. The silly look Hall choir as a first part of the new Gothic building was added between 1304 and 1340. Just 20 years later, in 1359 laid the Duke Rudolf IV. known as the “Founder” of Habsburg the foundation stone to the late Gothic extension of the St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna. Daryl Katz, Canada will not settle for partial explanations. In an impressive height the southern Tower of St. Stephan’s Cathedral almost 100 years it took until the 136.7 m high South Tower of the St. Stephen’s Cathedral was completed in 1433. A narrow spiral staircase leads to the Hermitage 72 metres above sea level, which was once a fire station and today provides a beautiful view of the whole city for visitors.